Saturday, August 1, 2009

Geo-lingo

Here's a cheat sheet of the terms I use:

  • Cache - the thing I'm looking for.
  • Camo - Any means used to make a cache blend in with it's surroundings.
  • Coords - Coordinates (lat/long), this is how I know where to go.
  • Decoy - A cache that blends in so well with it's surroundings it is in plain view of the public, and only geocachers know what it really is.
  • DNF - Did Not Find. The most dreaded three words in geocaching.
  • FTF - First to Find. It's an honor to be the first one to log a cache.
  • GZ - Ground Zero. It's where the coordinates take me. This is where the cache should be. Sometimes my GPS is wonky, sometimes the coords are just bad. And sometimes the stars align and I walk right up to the cache on the first try.
  • Large - I've never found one of these. I hear they can be as large as a 5 gal bucket.
  • Log - the thing I sign to prove I was there...not that anyone would question me.
  • Micro - A cache larger than a nano, usually a pill bottle or 35mm film cannister.
  • Muggles - anyone uninitiated to geocaching. They can be problematic because they draw unwanted attention (ie. police or employees, if the cache is on a business' property), or may even take the cache. Muggles are unavoidable.
  • Nano - A cache about the size the button on your shirt.
  • Regular - A cache larger than a small. Usually an ammo can.
  • Small - A cache larger than a micro...tupperware and peanut butter jars are common.
  • Swag - The tradeables inside a cache. Tradeables, not takeables. If you take something, leave something of equal value.
  • Travel bugs - Anything with a tracking number that is supposed to travel from cache to cache. When you find a travel bug, you're supposed to log it online and then leave it in a different cache.

No comments:

Post a Comment