Thursday, August 27, 2009

G is for Geocaching


Alas, it is back-to-school time. For me that means more time in the library and less time geocaching. We're also coming up on the busiest time of the year at work, so I probably won't get a solid day of caching until December. Woe. is. me.

But for the students at Harrisburg Elementary, geography means geocaching. When I read this article, I immediately went back to my own 5th grade geography lessons. The teacher would split the room into two teams, each with it's own oversized map hanging from the chalkboard. One by one, we went up to the board to face an opponent from the other team. We stood with our backs to the maps, eagerly waiting for the teacher to call out a state capital. Then, like wild-west gunslingers, we spun around, hunting with an outstretched index finger. All that mattered was being the first one to plunge that finger into the appropriate state.

It was terrifying, but it worked. Unlike Miss South Carolina Teen USA, I can tell you where "the Iraq" is located on a map...like...such as.

But I digress. At Harrisburg Elementary, they aren't subjecting students to potential humiliation. They are letting them hunt for travel bugs and track their finds in the classroom. According to the Charlotte Observer, when a student finds a travel bug, they get to color in the state of origin on the school's map.

I'm jealous. Granted, I was in 5th grade in 1994/1995, before modern-day geocaching was born, but this is way cooler than elementary school students deserve. Life just isn't fair.

And the real root of the problem: If schools start training a new generation of geocachers, how in the hell am I ever going to get another FTF?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/education/story/901471.html

No comments:

Post a Comment