Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Geocaching

This day of caching was long overdue. We went up to the Sanford/Lake Mary area, intent on finding the cache you see above. A friend of ours found it several months ago and keeps telling us how great it is. Great is not the word I would use...

First, started out the day with a DNF. Then we went on to find the cache above. Had no trouble parking, got out of the car and started walking along a creek. Suddenly my iPhone was telling me I was a few feet away. According to the satellite view, this cache was hidden near some trees, but I was out in the open. So we decided to explore the trees about 50 feet away. It was then that Brian pointed out the No Tresspassing sign, and the fact that someone was currently mowing the grass (on the other side of this massive property). My reply, "whatever, he didn't mow by the creek, I think this is public property."

Upon arriving at the next trees, the lawnmower sound got closer. It just didn't seem right, so I consulted the satellite view again, only to realize that there were two creek-looking bodies of water, that happened to run parallel to each other. We were on the right side of the wrong creek.

Now the lawnmower was roaring behind us. Sure we hadn't been spotted, we figured we could wait it out. After about 10 minutes of hanging out in spider-infested trees, we decided to come clean and apologize if we were approached. Turns out, the lawnmower guy could not have cared less. In fact, I don't think he even lives there, looks like he was just hired to the take care of the grass. Note to self: Don't be such a spaz.

I headed for the other side of the creek. Sure enough, there were trees where the gps was telling me there should be trees. As I walked by a cabbage palm, something rustled in the fronds just above me. I assumed it was a squirrel and went about my way, searching the tree. Suddenly I noticed a snake head at the base of the tree. "Cool! A snake cache!" I thought, and reached out the grab it. But then I thought, "this snake cache is incredibly realistic...and aren't I looking for an ammo can?" For several minutes, neither of us moved. "Must be a cache," I thought, but resolved to throw a stick at it to be sure. Lo and behold, it was a real (pissed off) snake. I apologized and went about my way.

I honed in on the cache shortly after that. I was so excited, everyone raves about this cache in the logs. The reason it's so cool: apparently it whines at you when you open it. The lid was stuck and I actually had to hold down the main part of the can with my foot and push with my arms to get it open. Silence. The cache was all wet inside (first wet ammo can I have seen) and the "whiner" seems to be broken. So much drama, and all I got was this stupid, silent, ammo can.

We moved onto the next cache, which was a super-easy, pill-bottle-at-the-bottom-of-a-sign cache. Our fourth cache-attempt of the day was the one you see above. You may or not be able to tell from the picture, but the column you seen on the right is actually a cover for the column on the left. This lock-and-lock was hidden exactly where it is in the photo, and the cover was placed over the top.

I've never seen anything like this before no did I have any idea that those things had covers. If it weren't for the fact that there were literally no other places to hide a cache of this size, I never would have found it. Out of sheer curiosity I nudged the column, and it swiveled. The more I cache, the more I realize that you really have to just pull and push everything you can get your hands on.

Except for the fact that it would be impossible to get while the business is open, this cache is really quite brilliant. I had to lift that bright blue column well over my head to reveal the cache. I'm sure people driving by saw me do it, maybe even called the cops, but whatever, it's part of the game.

This is another one that makes my top 10 coolest caches. It's a camo-egg. Pops open just like an Easter egg. You probably can't tell, but there are real live ducks by the pond.

This cache was easy to find, but tough to spot. Needed my mirror, for sure. It was clevely hidden in a little make-shift nest of Spanish moss, as you can see in the picture below.

All in all this was a decent caching day. We spent about 4 hours and found 7 caches. Only 1 DNF. The great thing about caching on a holiday is that most of the businesses are closed, which definitely made for a mostly muggle-free day. Happy labor day!

No comments:

Post a Comment