Sunday, March 14, 2010

The kindness of cachers

As some of you know, Brian and I have been all-consumed with moving into our new house the past few weeks. Sadly, it hasn’t left a lot of time for geocaching. This is especially disappointing because right now we have some of the best geocaching weather of the year. The spiders have already begun to make a resurgence, which means I’ll have to dust off the old spider-whacking stick.


Anyway, we’re almost moved-in. Up until yesterday, the front room remained unfinished. I decided to make it a library, and spent the last few weeks shopping for the right bookcases. The night I was supposed to bring them home, my friend with a truck had a bad experience with bleu cheese and had to bail. Ick.


In my desperation, I turned to Facebook. Who replied? Local geocaching legend, War1man, of War1man and Mimi. Both War1man and Mimi met me at the furniture store, hauled the bookcases back to my house (in the infamous white geo-van), and helped me bring them inside.


Less than a year ago, I was pacing (stomping, a little) around the Casselberry dam, cursing the day they ever decided to hide a cache there. If you told me then, that one day War1man and Mimi would be helping me move bookcases…I don’t know what I would have done, but I wouldn’t have believed you. It was surreal, to say the least.


It really speaks to the community of geocaching. It shows me, once again, that this is no ordinary hobby. I’ve never met an unfriendly geocacher (though I hear they’re out there), but I was not expecting cachers to come to my rescue that night.


Funny thing is, the next day I told some people at work about this. I was expecting them to reply, “Wow, that’s super cool.” Actually, they were like, “are you out of your mind??” I guess I never considered that.


Again, thank you, War1man and Mimi. Now, if I could just figure out what makes you tick, I might find a few more of your caches.


For those of you who’ve never had the pleasure of finding a War1man and Mimi cache (or even if you have), they have a blog called Geocaching with War1man and Mimi.

No comments:

Post a Comment